Friday, July 24, 2015

Senses working overtime #14

1 Calvin and Hobbes
I love it when writers find deeper meaning from popular culture icons along the Tao of Pooh lines. This piece is quite cool and I love the Thai master story of the broken goblet.

2 Batman
This is a fun picture. I was pretty good at picking who was behind each mask.



3 Success feels better but doesn't necessarily make you better
I really enjoyed this excerpt. I'm a sucker for movie war stories by writers. I've been spoiled by William Goldman's great books on the subject. This piece by screenwriter Susannah Grant hits the mark.

4 Soundspel
This is cool - a way of rationalising and reforming spelling: try this soundspel version of Keats' Ode to a nightingale or, rather, "Oed to a Nietingael" -
Mi hart aeks, and a drouzy numnes paensMi sens, as tho of hemlok I had drunk,Or emptyd sum dul oepiaet to the draensWun minit past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:'Tis not thru envy of thi hapy lot,But beeing too hapy in thien hapynes,That thow, liet-wingèd Dryad of the trees,In sum meloedius plotOf beechen green, and shadoes numberlessSingest of sumer in fuul-throeted eez.
5 and overtime: Three Cool Cats
Just finished Mark Lewisohn's first volume of The Beatle's history - Tune In

To celebrate - The Beatles did a great (to my ears) version of this song by The Coasters - here are both versions. You be the judge (Beatles is better right - George does a great vocal). 

The Beatles version was part of their failed audition tape for Decca. John's pisstake (hey man, save one chick for me) is way cool.

Anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment