Friday, February 2, 2024

Senses working overtime #456

1 Back to the brick factory this week




2 Listening: Deep Purple's Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming




Of late, I've been chewing through the Deep Purple discography for my music blog Goo Goo G'Joob and this album from 1996 stood out.

3 Reading: Haruki Murakami - Killing Commendatore




Yes, still. It's a big book and time is tight to quote Booker T, but, I am really enjoying it! I'm nearly halfway - page 254.

Here's a bit:

“In the silence of the woods it felt like I could hear the passage of time, of life passing by. One person leaves, another appears. A thought flits away and another takes its place. One image bids farewell and another one appears on the scene. As the days piled up, I wore out, too, and was remade. Nothing stayed still. And time was lost. Behind me, time became dead grains of sand, which one after another gave way and vanished. I just sat there in front of the hole, listening to the sound of time dying.” 

4 Watching: The Good Doctor




Yes, still. We have just finished season 2. The writing and performances are still top notch. Favourite character - Aaron Glassman.


5 Listening: Tears For Fears




While visiting Vinyl Countdown in New Plymouth recently, I picked up a copy of their B-sides and rarities compilation album Saturnine Martial & Lunatic. There are some great tracks on the double album and I've become mildly obsessed with Pharoahs (I have it on the B side of a 12" single but rediscovering it is great) and Johnny Panic and the Bible of Silence.


Overtime: James Clear

"When I go into a situation, I try to keep a mindset of baseline optimism.
  • When starting the day: It's going to be a good day.
  • When meeting someone new: I'm going to like them.
  • When trying something challenging: It's going to work out.
Problems will inevitably arise and I'll deal with them as the situation demands, but my preference is to assume I'm on a winning path until proven otherwise."

No comments:

Post a Comment