Saturday, August 15, 2026

Senses working over time #588

1 A rainy week in Takapau


Photo by ERIC ZHU on Unsplash


2 Watching: Zappa - d. Alex Winter (2020)




I bought this BlueRay DVD a while ago from JB Hi Fi and watched it while Jacky was away in New Plymouth this week - she would have hated it, so I've been waiting for my opportunity. It was okay, but how do you cover all the various Zappas in a two-hour documentary? Impossible, but this is fine as a taster to the weird and wacky Zappa universe.


3 Reading: The Virginian - Owen Wister




After the superb Three Days in June by Anne Tyler (she is a brilliant writer - I love her books), it's change-up time - with a western and a collection of essay (below).


4 Listening: Bongo Fury - Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart.




The 50th anniversary edition came as a 5 CD set. I love the original album and the set on Spotify (3 discs) has two complete concerts - the third comes with an unscheduled intermission for a bomb threat.

Some of it is great and some is terrible. The great though, like Pound For A Brown in 2 parts, is really great.


5 Reading: The Practice of the Wild - Gary Snyder




A collection of his essays originally printed in 1990.


Overtime: Harriet Beecher Stowe

Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment