Friday, February 21, 2020

Senses working overtime #250

Eye contact


Eye contact is an important part of our day to day interactions and it can sometimes lead to being married to someone for, of, so, 36 years or so (26th February 1983 is the first time I laid eyes on my wife). 

RIP Charles Portis



Portis is clearly an author I need to track down, thanks to this quasi obit in Austin Kleon's blog.

Seth Godin #1

Action figures
Those little plastic figurines don’t actually move. If we’re being honest, they’re not action figures, they’re remind-us-of-action figures.
Many of the totems in our lives don’t actually do anything all on their own. Books don’t read themselves, and flowers don’t love us.
But they can represent something. They can remind us of what’s possible. They can trigger us to be in the right state of mind.

Consider surrounding yourself with totems that invite generous action. They’re souvenirs of your best self.
Seth Godin #2

Just getting through the day

To what end?
Is tomorrow another day to get through?
After you get through all the days, then what happens?

What if we saw opportunities instead of tasks? Chances instead of risks?
Poetry corner
Love Poem to Myself

Your basic appetites and pale feet renew 
my faith in evolution; when you slide drunk 
into a bath all the palm trees in Miami burn; 
when I think about your nervous system, 
its black market of strands, tearing electrics, 
I feel outwardly stupid; I love you, I say, and
the room rings as if the air around my skin 
were the rind of something citrus. 

Jack Underwood


Overtime: Emma


Jacky and I saw Emma during the past week. It was a terrific movie - very strong performances from the cast and a great lightness of touch. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment