Saturday, September 19, 2026

Senses working overtime #593

1 The feeling this week:


Photo by Tim Johnson on Unsplash


2 Reading: Songs from the Shaky Isles (A short history of popular music in New Zealand) - Gareth Shute




I picked this up from the sale bin outside Paper Plus in Waipukurau this week. I'm already engrossed in the origins of music in New Zealand.


3 Not reading: The Virginian - Owen Wister




I've decided to shelve this novel 150 pages in. I wasn't looking forward to reading it and started reading other books instead of it, hence the decision to stop. Maybe I'll come back to it in the future.


4 Watched: The first three Terminator films




All of the scary speculation about AI's future vs the benefits it brings to humanity meant we watched the first three Terminator movies this week. I suggest the boffins at Open AI and Anthropic do the same, as news reports of a potential US/China conflict in the Middle East thanks to AI surfaced. 


5 Listening: Hemi Hemingway's album Wings of Desire



This was Kevy's choice for the week. My review is here.


Overtime: André Gide (in 1925)

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment